top of page

Latest news

  • Writer: Pop gist
    Pop gist
  • Aug 20, 2020
  • 4 min read

  • EFCC probes Minister of Niger Delta Affairs and others



The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has commenced investigation into various corruption allegations against the Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Godswill Akpabio and the acting Managing Director of the Niger Delta Development Commission, NDDC’s Interim Management Committee, IMC Prof. Kemebradikumo Pondei.

A letter addressed to a civil society group, Foundation for True Freedom and Good Governance, led by activist, Deji Adeyanju gave an indication of the probe.

The Deji Adeyanju-led group had demanded that the anti-corruption agency investigate Akpabio and Pondei over allegations of corruption at the NDDC.

And the EFCC’s letter to the group signed by its Head of Economic Governance Section, Adebayo Adeniyi, said, “We write to acknowledge the receipt of your petition dated August 3, 2020 in respect of the above subject and to inform you that investigation into the case has commenced.

“In view of the above, you are kindly requested to attend an interview with the undersigned through the O/C team six on Thursday, August 20, 2020 at EFCC headquarters third floor.”

However, the letter was leaked to the media by Adeyanju to the dismay of the EFCC.

The Sun quoted a source at the anti-graft agency as saying that “What he has done is a big problem for us.”

“We don’t usually disclose anything when we are carrying out any investigation. Adeyanju was only invited to give more information. What he has done will likely sabotage our investigation,” he said.

Among numerous calls by individuals and corporate organizations, the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) had called on President Muhammadu Buhari to ensure a prompt, thorough and transparent investigation into the grave allegations of corruption against Akapbio, by former acting Managing Director of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), Joy Nunieh.

But SERAP believes it would serve the public interest if Buhari investigates the allegations.

Recall that Nunieh had accused Akpabio of removing her from officebecause she refused to do his alleged fraudulent bidding.

Reacting, Akpabio claimed that the former NDDC boss had a character problem. 

Ever since then, Nigerians have been extremely treated to more accusations, counter-accusations and revelations about the financial highhandedness in the commission.


  • Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State Reacts to 2023 presidential campaign



Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State has reacted to his 2023 presidential campaign posters which flooded social media on Wednesday.

The posters, which went viral on social mediaon Wednesday had pictures carrying Fayemi’s photograph as a contestant on the platform of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC.

Gov. Fayemi, in a statement made available by his Chief Press Secretary, Yinka Oyebode, warned those behind the posters to stop distracting him from performing his primary duties.

The posters, which have become a subject of political debate on different social media platforms was sponsored by the Chairman of Ikere Local Government Area of Ekiti State, Mr Femi Ayodele.

The statement read in part: “The attention of Governor Kayode Fayemi, has been drawn to news reports of a campaign poster being purportedly circulated online by Femi Ayodele, the Chairman of Ikere Local Government Council.

The governor warned Mr. Ayodele and other groups canvassing support for Gov. Fayemi ahead of the 2023 presidential election through the poster which was designed with the logo of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to steer clear of such actions.



  • Professor Wale Suleiman, Special Adviser on Health to the Kwara State Governor, has resigned



Professor Wale Suleiman, Special Adviser on Health to the Kwara State Governor, has resigned his appointment.

This was contained in a statement by the governor’s spokesman, Rafiu Ajakaye in Ilorin, on Wednesday.

According to the statement, Professor Suleiman resigned his appointment “to pursue his long time passion of maximizing his contacts in the global health and non- health sectors to deepen interaction with the Nigerian Diaspora and attract Investment.”

Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq has also announced Director, UNILORIN stem cell research centre, Professor Adekunle David Dunmade as replacement for Professor Suleiman.

In another development, governor Abdulrazaq, has appointed retired Brigadier General Saliu Tunde Bello and Mr Aliyu Muyideen as the new Special Adviser on Security matters and Senior Special Assistant on Security, respectively.

Bello, a former military administrator of Kebbi state, and Muyideen an intelligence and counter terrorism expert’s appointments were announced in Ilorin on Wednesday.

  • The Abia State Governor approves a review


The Governor of Abia State, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu, on Wednesday, approved a downward review of monthly emolument of all political appointees in the State

Ikpeazu said the review was upon attainment of general financial stability.

According to him, the decision was informed by the present economic crunch in the country occasioned by the global pandemic.

The statement by the Secretary to Abia State Government, Barr Chris Ezem reads in part, “Going forward, all Political Appointees shall be entitled to their basic monthly salary excluding other allowances.


  • Barcelona Forward, Ansu Fati sacks Messi’s brother as agent



Barcelona forward, Ansu Fati, has appointed Jorge Mendes as his new agent, Mundo Deportivo reports.

Until now, the 17-year-old had been represented by Rodrigo Messi, the brother of Barca captain Lionel.

Fati has now decided to hook up with Mendes, who is the long-term representative of Cristiano Ronaldo.

Mendes’ Gestifute agency already has one player in the current Barca squad in the full-back Nelson Semedo and represent several big names across Europe such as Manchester City trio Ederson, Joao Cancelo and Bernardo Silva and Liverpool midfielder Fabinho.

Fati, who scored eight times in 33 appearances this season, has a contract at the Camp Nou until 2022.


  • Barcelona New manager, Ronald Koeman reveals the player he intends to work with next season


Koeman reveals Barcelona players he wants to work with, speaks on Messi’s future

New Barcelona manager, Ronald Koeman, has made it clear he will only work with players that want to stay at the club.

Koeman, who was speaking at his official unveiling on Wednesday, also said he would speak with captain Lionel Messi about his future.

“I don’t know if I have to convince Messi. He is the best player in the world and you want the best player in the world in your team, not on the other side.

“For my part, I would love to work with Messi. He wins football matches and I would be really happy if he decides to stay,” he told reporters at the Camp Nou.

The 57-year-old added that “I only want to work with players who want to be here and if they are not happy, let them say it.”

Koeman, who replaces Quique Setien, has signed a two-year deal with the LaLiga giants.

It is believed he has made Ajax’s Donny van de Beek, Lyon’s Memphis Depay and Everton’s Michael Keane his priority this summer.


Comments


Post: Blog2_Post

Subscribe Form

Thanks for submitting!

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn

©2020 by Pop gist. Proudly created with Wix.com

bottom of page